We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
George Raymond Eisele, born 16 May 1923 in Gillette Wyo., enlisted in the Naval Reserve 4 February 1942. Seaman Second Class Eisele was killed in action on board San Francisco (CA-38) 12 November 1942 during the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal when a flaming Japanese torpedo plane crashed into his gunnery station. He was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross for courageously remaining at his post to fire on the plane as it fell toward him.
The name Eisele was assigned to DE-75 on 27 May 1943, and canceled and reassigned to DE-34 on 22 June 1943. DE-75 was transferred to the United Kingdom on 17 October 1943 and served in the Royal Navy as HMS Bickerton until lost.
(DE-34: dp. 1,140; 1. 289'6"; b. 36'1"; dr. 11'; s. 21 k.
cpl 156 a 3 3", R dcp, 1 dcp.(hh.), 2 dct., el. Evarts)
Eisele (DE-34) was originally intended for transfer to Great Britain as BDE-34; launched 29 June 1943 by Mare Island Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. George A. Eisele, mother of Seaman Second Class Eisele, and commissioned 18 October 1943, Lieutenant Commander E. C. Long in command.
Eisele sailed from San Francisco 11 December 1943 and after touching at Pearl Harbor and Funafuti arrived in the Gilberts 5 January 1944. She patrolled off Tarawa and guarded convoys between the Gilberts and Marshalls, returning to Pearl Harbor 19 May. In June she departed for Eniwetok and screened transports to Guam for support landings 27 July. She continued to serve in the occupation of the Marianas on screen, convoy escort, and air-sea rescue duty.
Returning to Pearl Harbor 28 August 1944, Eisele conducted training exercises with submarines until October when she sailed for Eniwetok. There she screened fast tanker convoys safely past the rest of the Carolines, still Japanese held, to Palau and on to the Philippines. In March 1945 Eisele arrived at Ulithi, the staging point for the Okinawa operation, and sailed on the 218t screening escort carriers providing the air cover to capture Okinawa. Except for escorting a convoy to Saipan, Eisele remained with the CVEs off Okinawa fighting off constant air attack. Eisele was homeward bound 17 June and was decommissioned at Seattle 16 November 1945. She was sold 29 January 1948.
Eisele received two battle stars for World War II service.
USS Eisele (DE-34)
USS Eisele (DE-34) là một tàu khu trục hộ tống lớp Evarts được Hải quân Hoa Kỳ chế tạo trong Chiến tranh Thế giới thứ hai. Nó là chiếc tàu chiến duy nhất của Hải quân Mỹ được đặt theo tên thủy thủ George Raymond Eisele (1923-1943), người phục vụ trên tàu tuần dương hạng nặng San Francisco (CA-38), đã tử trận ngày 12 tháng 11, 1942 trong trận Hải chiến Guadalcanal, và được truy tặng Huân chương Chữ thập Hải quân.   Nó đã phục vụ cho đến khi chiến tranh kết thúc, xuất biên chế vào ngày 16 tháng 11, 1945 và xóa đăng bạ vào ngày 28 tháng 11, 1945. Con tàu bị bán để tháo dỡ vào ngày 29 tháng 1, 1948. Eisele được tặng thưởng hai Ngôi sao Chiến trận do thành tích phục vụ trong Thế Chiến II.
- 1.140 tấn Anh (1.160 t) (tiêu chuẩn)
- 1.430 tấn Anh (1.450 t) (đầy tải)
- 283 ft 6 in (86,41 m) (mực nước)
- 289 ft 5 in (88,21 m) (chung)
- 4 × động cơ dieselGeneral Motors Kiểu 16-278A với máy phát điện
- 2 × trục chân vịt
- 15 sĩ quan
- 183 thủy thủ
- kiểu SA & SL Kiểu 128D hoặc Kiểu 144
- Ăn-ten định vị MF
- Ăn-ten định vị cao tần Kiểu FH 4
- 3 × pháo 3 in (76 mm)/50 cal đa dụng (3×1)
- 4 × pháo phòng không1,1 inch/75 caliber (1×4)
- 9 × pháo phòng không Oerlikon 20 mm (9×1)
- 8 × máy phóng mìn sâu K3
- 1 × súng cốichống tàu ngầmHedgehog (24 nòng, 144 quả đạn)
- 2 × đường ray thả mìn sâu
When Stan Martenson and David Eisele established Martenson & Eisele, Inc. in 1977, they had a vision of being the best civil engineering and land surveying firm in the Fox Cities. Today, that vision has been expanded to include planning services, environmental assessment, engineering services, and architectural services throughout the state of Wisconsin.
Over the past forty plus years, Stan and David grew Martenson & Eisele, Inc. into a vibrant company of dedicated professionals, and the growth of the firm is the result of paying close, personal attention to the needs of our clients. Partnering with Marteson & Eisele is more than just hiring an engineering services and land surveying company. When you trust us with your land development projects, you put your trust in a firm with a long-standing reputation of excellence in meeting the exacting, specific needs of its clients!
Our measured growth utilized attraction of exceptional planning, environmental, surveying, engineering, and architectural professionals and support staff aided by a family atmosphere, technical excellence, and creative collaboration. While other companies were growing carelessly and beyond their true capabilities, we never got too large to lose the personal touch our clients have come to expect.
Over the years we have relied on our mission, values, and our philosophy to guide us in our relationships with our clients and with each other, and to create a culture of integrity, quality, and success. From public works projects to residential land surveying and everything in between, we bring a commitment to service and integrity to every project we undertake.
Eisele DE-34 - History
A HISTORICAL LOOK AT ARIZONA'S FOOD INDUSTRY
By Jo-an Holstein and Debbie Roth
Looking back over time, Arizona’s food industry is much like a rich, vibrant, irreplaceable tapestry. Chain and independent retailers of all types and sizes along with vendors, manufacturers, organizations, events and social changes have been tightly woven together – each influencing and melding with the other.
The result is an amazing design. A depiction of an industry, and the state trade association that serves it – the Arizona Food Marketing Alliance (AFMA). Both are like no others. To trace this unique industry and association’s beginnings, start by following the tracks --- the railroad tracks.
As the mighty “Iron Horse” thundered west during the frontier days of the late 1880s, small territorial towns sprang up. The miners and pioneers who called these dusty communities home were served by general stores and trading posts – the seeds from which today’s food industry has grown. These early-day Arizona residents also were served by determined businesses that would become industry legends. Consider Edward Eisele, an immigrant from Bavaria who purchased a Phoenix bakery now led by his grandson and namesake and known as Holsum Bakery – the very bakery that was the first to use a horse-drawn bakery wagon in 1894 and an auto for delivery in 1910.
Another example is Shamrock Foods, launched in Tucson in 1922 by W. T. McClelland, who immigrated from Ireland and started the family business with a Model T truck and a couple of cows.
Just a few years earlier, in 1917, legendary J. B. Bayless had moved to the state, bringing his experience and food stores in Tennessee and Washington with him. During the following years, Bayless built a successful local chain of 18 stores that was eventually bought out by Mac Marr in 1929. A provision of the buy-out, wrote the late Gene Parker in memoirs dated August 1987, was that J. B. would not complete with them for a set number of years. A year after the buyout, his son, A. J., bought Butcher's stores and started his own chain.
"There was quite an uproar, as the Safeway people who bought out Mac Marr in 1931 insisted that A. J.'s father (J. B.) was the real owner. A lawsuit was filed, but after about five years, it was decided that a son of legal age was not bound by his father's agreement," Parker wrote. "Hard feelings showed up in a different way. Softball teams were sponsored by many businesses, among them Safeway and Bayless. Nothing gave the Safeway people greater pleasure than to beat the Bayless team."
As Arizona's oldest national chain, Safeway had moved into the state in 1928. That was the same year it purchased a chain of stores called Pay'N Takit, which debuted in Arizona in 1921. The Bayless stores "grew to become Safeway stores' biggest competitor," wrote legendary food broker Ken Sewell many years ago. "A. J. Bayless knew more about the products he purchased than the salesmen that sold them."
Just two years after the launch of A J Bayless' stores came the founding of Bashas' in 1932 by Ike and Eddie Basha, Sr. During those days stores didn't have air conditioning. Instead, they had open fronts and merchandise was displayed on the sidewalk and wheeled back into the store at closing time.
Also during this time, the marketing of frozen foods heated up - spurred after the Postum Co. purchased the "quick freezing" company founded by Clarence Birdseye. At long last, highways joined the railroad as a means for transporting foods. During the 1930s, radio advertising hit the airways, grocery carts were invented and Holsum Bakery - yet again displaying its penchant for innovation - introduced Arizonans to sliced bread. In 1942, food industry icon Noah Billings opened the doors of Food City - a banner that was pulled under the Bashas' umbrella in 1993. A. J.'s stores, whose heritage goes back to A. J. Bayless, also are part of the Bashas' family of stores.
As Word War II raged, Arizona’s food industry battled food shortages, government control and ration stamps. Industry leader Roger Hagel, who started in the grocery business at age 13, went on to own Hagel’s Markets, and later run El Rancho and eventually Bayless --- recalled those turbulent times in a recent interview.
Hagel noted that grocers all had problems getting fresh cattle meat, and the government’s Office of Price Administration (OPA) dictated “what we paid for items and what we sold them for.” Because of shortages, consumers used ration stamps to purchase many items, including gas, canned goods, meat and sugar. Hagel, who purchased one of his stores after the OPA shut down the previous owner for cheating on ration stamps, recalled times when his wife worked in the store while he went out to get merchandise. He often bought 10-pound bags of goods and repackaged them in smaller units to sell, and remembers when Van Buren would be blocked off as crowds gathered because they knew which days he’d have cigarettes available. When shortages eased and ration stamps disappeared, grocers battled briefly with the confusion of what to charge for items.
While some male store owners were called upon to fight for their country, many wives back home in Arizona took over the food businesses. One example is Earl Rutledge, who left his wife, Bertha, to run the store along with Dorothy, whom he later married after Bertha’s death. During this time, independents grappled with how to compete against chains. Interestingly, such independent stores often were owned by Chinese residents, many whose families arrived in the state while building the railroad. Now operating small Mom and Pop stores, such Chinese families often lived in the back of their small stores.
“It was a meager living,” said the late Walter Ong in a 1999 issue of “Arizona Grocer” (Now called the Arizona Food Industry Journal.) “Many of these people came to America to find wealth and happiness.
But once they got here, they learned that it wasn't that easy. The retail grocery business gave them opportunity it was a business they could get into.”
Ong, who at one time operated five small stores, was among a group of independents who formed the Retail Grocers Association of Arizona (RGAA) in October 1943 --- 60 years ago. Now known as the Arizona Food Marketing Alliance, the organization was headed not only by Ong but also Clyde Killingsworth, Al Lesiner, Earl Rutledge, Leo Welnick and Paul West. Like today, one of the association’s key purposes was to represent the industry in the legislative or policymaking arena.
“I remember after the association was first formed, I went back and forth from town to town to get everyone involved. We didn't want the retailers in the rural communities to be left out,” said Vicki Sawaia, in a 1999 interview. Now living in a Valley nursing home, she recalled trips to Globe, San Carlos, Springerville, Payson and other small towns during days when there were no paved roads. Sawaia is the daughter of a merchant from Lebanon, who opened a store in Miami in 1916. He later moved to Superior, where he opened Sawaia's White Spot, a store Vicki eventually managed.
With just a year under his belt, the young RGAA began publishing "Arizona Grocer," now the Arizona Food Industry Journal. Among the first advertisers in the magazine were Holsum, Hayden Flour Mills, Rainbo, Borden, 7-Up and Barq's. Along with publishing the magazine, the RGAA also held the first of what would become an industry mainstay for decades to come - an annual convention.
While early conventions included a product showcase open to customers, later conventions focused on providing networking and social opportunities for food industry members. Great camaraderie, friendships and business relationships were spurred by these annual conventions, the last of which was held in 1999.
"It was always so nice to go. We'd send our help. It was something they looked forward to. They always had a good entertainer, speakers and seminars," recalled Hagel. "We'd see employees who never got to go out to a fancy hotel."
The Growth of Associated Grocers
As the RGAA continued to come into its own, another important industry organization developed -- the Associated Grocers, a retailer-owned buying group that became Arizona's largest wholesale grocery company. The AG worked to provide independent grocers with competitively priced goods. "Everyone bought from Associated Grocers," said Hagel, who was running El Rancho Markets at the time. "With AG, we could buy smaller amounts rather than big quantities and still get good prices. It saved our lives."
Associated Grocers was started in 1948 by Emery Nelson, who had worked with Safeway Pay 'N Takit and later General Sales Company. The co-op, lacking the dynamic leadership of its earlier days, was acquired by Fleming in 1984.
"When Associated Grocers started in 1948, there were about 30 wholesale grocers in the state. The wholesalers all had salesmen who called on the retail stores and restaurants. They took orders for delivery several days later. One salesman from Arizona Grocery would put his bicycle on the early morning train, get off in Chandler, call on the stores, take their orders, put the bike back on the train in the evening, and go home. All the orders were hand written and priced by the salesman the same time they wrote the order. The orders were given to the order desk in the office where they would be checked for prices and turned over to the warehouse to be filled for the next day delivery. After the orders were filled, they were returned to the office where they were figured by people using a comptometer (calculator)," wrote the late Gene Parker. Parker was the Associated Grocers' first employee, and was hired by Nelson who had also hired him at Safeway Pay 'N Takit. Parker started with AG as a buyer then progressed to assistant manager, vice president, executive vice president then president before retiring in 1977. He recalled the great opposition that AG had to initially overcome, with few manufacturers willing to sell to the group.
An Industry Continues to Evolve
Other events highlighted the late 1940's, including the founding of Kalil Bottling. Iceless refrigerator cars began to carry frozen foods, grocery warehouses welcomed steel racks and fork lifts. Television advertising made its way into Arizona households and supermarkets expanded across the state. In 1949, Arizona Grocer began publishing a page directed to the state's Chinese and Spanish-speaking merchants. The following year, the RGAA played a key role in the reduction of an inventory tax, and merchants sighed in relief as a tax on oleo was lifted.
With the 1950's came the unforgettable S&H Green Stamps. Parker called them a "good merchandising tool" which initially gave stores enough increases in volume to offset their costs, while Hagel recalled when "double stamp Wednesdays" accounted for up to one-third of his business. The stamps were ultimately discontinued by the mid-1970s.
Also during the 50s, stores began staying open on Sunday and warehouses began handling frozen foods and using printed order books. Early computers, although a far cry from what they are today, introduced new business efficiencies. As nifty as the 50s themselves, convenience stores began popping up across Arizona. Perhaps most notable among them was Circle K, which hit the market in 1959.
"In the late 1950s, the convenience stores came to Arizona. At first, not too much attention was paid to them but as they increased in number, the small mom and pop stores began to close," wrote Parker.
During this decade, Los Hospederos - which literally means "the hosts" - was formed to support the RGAA. Food broker Ken Sewell led a group of approximately 40 suppliers in creating Los Hospederos in 1950. The group was focused on supporting AFMA by hosting its annual convention, including a golf tournament that kicked off the annual event.
Los Hospederos first played a leading role in the RGAA two-day convention held in 1954 at the Biltmore. Over the years, the group donated and served truckloads of food, and provided numerous hospitality suites, games and prizes. Today, Los Hospederos has been replaced by a new group, the Arizona Food Council, which has not only a new name but also a new mission in serving Arizona's food industry.
Another active industry group at this time was the Food Industry Golfers, better known as FIG. The group held its first tournament in 1950 at Encanto. The event was sponsored by the Roadrunners, an organization of salesmen. According to Hagel, FIG included 40 retailers and 40 wholesalers who golfed once a month. Names were drawn to determine who played together, and anyone not playing with their selected person was not asked to play again. It was understood that every player paid their own way, with the exception, perhaps, of treating each other to refreshments. "It was the greatest thing to bring retailers and wholesalers together," Hagel said.
In the late '50s, retailers battled check cashing problems, prompting a meeting with the banking police and FBI officials. Shoplifting also was an issue and a milk pricing war was going full steam by the end of the decade.
With the 1960s, Arizona's bustling food industry welcomed such familiar names as Fry's and Smitty's, the latter which heralded the new concept of mixing both general department store merchandise with groceries. New on retailers' shelves were Brownulated Sugar from Spreckels Sugar and boneless turkey roasts from Armour. The RGAA also boasted new concepts during this time. Its coupon redemption service, still in operation, was created and its first food industry award was given to Emery Nelson, of course during the industry's leading event, the RGAA annual convention. While the convention is no longer held, food industry awards are still given at an annual banquet. One award honors the Retailer of the Year and another salutes the Supplier of the Year. Another award category, which began in 2000, is given to the Convenience Store Operator of the Year.
By the mid-1970s, Alpha Beta had entered the Arizona market and convenience foods became the rage in response to women entering the workforce in growing numbers. The industry, and its association, turned their thoughts to item price marking, unit price legislation, the energy crisis, high food costs and inflation. During the next decade, a scholarship program was created. Paul Bennewitz, who led the association from 1980 to 1996 and had a background in vocational education, recalled working with Dennis McGuire, a Bayless vice president in Tucson, to create the program. Evolving over time, the program eventually led to the creation of the non-profit Arizona Food & Drug Industry Education Foundation.
Also during the 1980s, the RGAA created its cart retrieval program. A hotline - still in operation - was created in 1984 for the public to use in reporting abandoned shopping carts. Three years later, the RGAA established its Hall of Fame with A. J. Bayless as its first honoree. To this day, one food industry leader is inducted annually. Budget-conscious consumers saw generic products arrive in stores along with technological advances including electronic tags and visible television monitors to fight shoplifting.
"Everything changed because of computers," said Hagel, recalling labor-intensive days of grease pencils and earlier times when every item in a store was marked or stickered. "Now everything is scanned in with the cash register. It's a tremendous benefit."
Times of Change and Consolidation
Change was the keyword of the day throughout much of the 1980s and beyond. Southwest Supermarkets - perhaps foreshadowing the Hispanic-oriented niche store to come -- was created and mergers and consolidations were becoming more commonplace in what was increasingly becoming known as one of the hottest and most competitive food markets in the nation.
For example, Smitty's was acquired, Dillon merged with Kroger, Fleming acquired Associated Grocers, and Alpha Beta was sold and renamed ABCO. El Rancho sold or closed its Arizona stores and MegaFoods began operations. Also during the late '80s, ABCO bought out Lucky stores, and Smith's and Albertson's entered the market. In the mid-1980s, Hagel recalled meetings at Bayless (which ranted #1 in the market in 1984 with 60 stores) where ads from 12 competitors were hung on the wall. As chains dominated the field, independents became increasingly scarce, explaining the debut of IGA - the Independent Grocers Alliance - in Arizona in 1989.
As part of the changing characteristics of the 1980s, the state's food industry association also underwent a sort of transformation, becoming dramatically more politically active. "Grocers typically didn't want to get involved with public policy because they were afraid they'd lose customers," explained former association leader Paul Bennewitz.
He recalled that when political involvement was desirable, the association and the food industry turned to Burton Barr, who operated Maverick Store Fixtures. He became majority leader in the House, and encouraged Roger Hagel, Wayne Manning and other food industry members to get involved. In 1985, the industry came together for the first time to support a political candidate from its ranks when Barr ran unsuccessfully for governor.
"There cannot be enough credit given to what Burton Barr did for the food industry," Bennewitz said.
Eventually, industry leaders such as Gene Parker and food broker Ken Sewell, who visited food industry members to gather funding to create the Food Industry Political Action Committee (FIPAC), helped bring the industry out of its political shyness.
"FIPAC was an important way to pull people out. Leaders like Gene Parker and Ken Sewell caused a number of grocers to say, 'maybe we should get involved,'" said Bennewitz. He noted that one of the goals when he was hired as association leader was to make the industry move involved in the political process.
Bennewitz recalled that the first big issue he faced was a potential tax on food items but not non-food items. Passage of the tax was unavoidable, and check-out debacles were feared as cash registers were far less sophisticated then. The association took action, and as a result, retailers were able to average their sales taxes, plus they were given an allowance for upgrading cash registers. Another issue during this time involved allowing underage cashiers to ring up liquor.
During the early 1980s, the RGAA also played a key role in defeating a bottle bill, which involved deposits on containers. Spurred by interest in cleaning up the environment, the bill would have caused space, bug and other problems for retailers. While initial surveys indicated 60 percent of voters were for the initiative, it ultimately was rejected with 58 percent voting it down.
"It was defeated rather soundly and never came back. But we didn't walk away from the environment issue," Bennewitz said. In fact, the RGAA joined with the beverage industry and others to help start Arizona Clean & Beautiful, an organization still in existence today. Importantly, the association also played a role in the formation of the Arizona Association of Food Banks in order to unify the efforts of individual food banks. And when it seemed possible that the state would get involved in training about alcohol sales, the association again got involved, leading to the creation of today's ABC for Alcohol Education and a reduction in fines if there were violations.
"These kinds of things are important because, as an industry, it's better to do it ourselves than have government take over. We don't necessarily want to see bigger government," Bennewitz said.
He recalled that a key issue in the mid-1980s was the passage of a sales tax to build freeways. "We spent a lot of time to get that passed. Freeways are how goods get to stores, and we got behind it so the costs of products wouldn't increase," Bennewitz said.
Other key political involvement during this time included fighting to increase retailers commissions on lottery tickets and defeat a tax on soft drinks. In the late 1980s, the association helped stop legislation that would have required policing of retail parking lots. It also facilitated a change that enabled retailers to keep a percentage of the sales tax they collected. "We were one of the few states without an allowance for collecting," Bennewitz said.
Perhaps one of the industry's biggest political battles came in the early 1990s when retails faced the threat of having to put a price on every item offered. "We got legislation passed so that wasn't required. When the governor signed, it was a victory for the food industry. It was one of the most important pieces of legislation. Chains, independents, Convenience stores . everyone got in on it," Bennewitz said.
Not all issues were at the state level, however. For example, an ordinance in Douglas proposed that grocers pay a fee to get back their lost or abandoned carts. Bennewitz and others went to town and convinced officials that retailers would do a good job of retrieving their carts. "It was basically a ransom. They wanted to charge retailers to get their own property back. We killed it off fast because the idea could have expanded," he said.
And, not all battles were won. For example, Bennewitz noted that efforts to enable retailers to purchase alcoholic products on credit were unsuccessful.
Along with its heightened political involvement, the association was the first of its kind to conduct a statewide survey of grocery and convenience store operational practices. "We looked at things like how many sold liquor or had bakeries or pharmacies. It helped us politically because we could answer questions and justify when we got involved," Bennewitz said. As an example, when an issue related to fumigating plants for fire ants arose, the association knew it needed to get involved because of the number of its members with floral departments. "At the time, the largest florist in Arizona was ABCO," Bennewitz recalled.
With the 1990s came increased services, including pre-packaged meals, in-store banking, coupon wars and store cards. By the mid 90s, even the chains found themselves adjusting to the changing marketplace. Bashas' now boasts four formats - Bashas', Food City, AJ's and Dine - each designed to cater to a specific customer. Fry's, Safeway and Albertson's expanded their offerings to include gas station facilities.
While the retail scene was undergoing seemingly ongoing changes, so was the brokerage community. Here, the name of the game was consolidation, followed by going national. Names such as CBS, Collins, Benford & Gray and others have gone by the wayside as Advantage Sales & Marketing has risen to the forefront.
Change continued to be the theme for Arizona's food industry during the 1990s - and most would agree, even up to the present times. In 1995, the RGAA changed its name to the Arizona Food Marketing Alliance (AFMA) in order to better reflect its membership, which was no longer only independent retailers but also grocery and convenience store chains, suppliers, vendors and others. Just two years later, in 1997, AFMA's Education Committee formerly established the Arizona Food & Drug Industry Education Foundation, which to date has awarded more than $300,000 in scholarships and tuition reimbursement to launch and enhance food industry careers. By the end of the decade, familiar names such as Smitty's, MegaFoods and ABCO were no more. Fred Meyers Marketplace made a brief appearance only to be sold to Smith's which converted to the Fry's banner, and Albertson's acquired American Stores and Osco Drug Stores.
"We've had a lot of chains come into town," summarized Hagel.
By the time the millennium had drawn to a close the industry born out of general stores and trading posts had grown to include businesses of all sizes and scopes. Ever-evolving and always changing, it had chugged through the decades much like the railroad that heralded many of its earliest members.
Most importantly, the state's food industry had woven an intricate pattern through time - a pattern beautifully intertwined with the trade association that serves it, the Arizona Food Marketing Alliance.
Eisele Vineyard was founded as Araujo Estate in 1990 by Bart and Daphne Araujo their first vintage was an Eisele Vineyard designate Cabernet Sauvignon from 1991. While the Araujo’s were new to the valley, their vineyard was not. The historical Eisele Vineyard had produced quality fruit for several wineries including Joseph Phelps and Robert Mondavi and was also the source for a 1971 Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon – one of California’s earliest vineyard designated wines. The 1971 was the only vintage that Ridge winemaker at that time, Paul Draper ever produced from the Eisele Vineyard. The 1975 and 1975 Joseph Phelps Eisele Vineyard designate wines are considered two of the benchmark vintages from this vineyard.
The vineyard also produced wine in a round about way for one of Conn Creek’s earliest releases. Lyncrest Vineyard on Spring Mountain (now the site of Marston Vineyards) ultimately closed down in 1974 (the last year of their production) due to bankruptcy. Lyncrest Vineyard had purchased and already had wine in barrel from the Eisele Vineyard when they offered several lots of wine at an auction. Conn Creek Vineyards purchased a 1974 Cabernet Sauvignon made by Lyncrest Vineyard from the Eisele Vineyard – and along with a 1973 Steltzner Vineyard wine, Conn Creek bottled these as their first ever releases.
However, the history of viticulture on the property dates back much further the Eisele Vineyard was first planted to grapes in 1886 – at that time to Zinfandel and Riesling. Riesling has nearly vanished from this part of the valley however there are still a number of old vine head pruned Zinfandel vineyards in the Calistoga sub-appellation. These varieties are no longer are planted in the vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon was first planted here in 1964.
Milt and Barbara Eisele first purchased the property in 1969 when Milt (an executive at Kaiser Corporation was nearing retirement). After they decided to sell they initially offered it to Joseph Phelps who had already made numerous vintages from the property. As it were, he was busy with his own winery and vineyards and declined the offer. The Araujos had enlisted the help of a local real estate agent, Jean Philips (founder of Screaming Eagle) and had instructed her to offer them any well-known vineyard properties as they came on the market.
Bart Araujo is a native of San Francisco who attended the University of Southern California (USC) and also Harvard Business School. From his home base in Los Angeles he co-founded A-M Homes, a successful home construction company which he sold a majority interest in the late 1980s to Jennings Group Ltd. of Australia and in 1992 the company was again sold including Araujo’s ownership to Pacific Greystone. Daphne is a retired landscape architect. Upon selling their company, the Araujos began their search for vineyard property specifically in the Napa Valley.
After they acquired the Eisele Vineyard, the Araujos replanted much of the vineyard and in 2000 finally removed, due to virus, the oldest Cabernet Sauvignon vines dating to 1964. The Araujos also built a winery, tunneled caves into the nearby hillside and constructed a beautiful home.
In 2013, the Araujos sold the winery, property and brand to the Artemis Group, founded in 1990 by French businessman François-Henri Pinault, who incidentally is married to the American-Mexican actress Salma Hayek. This was their first purchase in the United States the Artemis Group also owns First Growth Château Latour in Pauillac in the Médoc region, Domaine d’Eugénie, located south of Dijon, France, Château Grillet in the Rhone region, Chateau Siaurac in Pomerol and Clos de Tart in Burgundy. In addition, they own Christie’s, the long running auction house with primary offices in London and New York.
When they acquired the property, the 2012 vintage was in barrel but had not yet been bottled. 2012 was the last vintage that the wines were bottled under the Araujo Estate label.
After the purchase, they changed the name of the winery from Araujo Estate to the Eisele Vineyard (taking the namesake as their actual vineyard). But their changes reflect an even greater level of precision to the property with detailed and complete integration between both the vineyard and the cellar. Something as simple as harvesting slower or a more gentle approach to harvesting grapes – using scissors to cut the bunches of grapes rather then pruning knives. And decreasing the sulfur inputs throughout the year. Furthermore, honing in on harvesting even smaller sections within vineyard blocks – fermenting these separately from each other – and then blending fairly early on in the wine’s aging. And bringing expertise from France in regards to their barrel program and selection of coopers and toast levels.
And after the sale, the Araujos remained in the wine industry – having founded Wheeler Farms, home to their own Accendo Cellars as well as a production winery for select other premium brands.
This north valley site is 162 acres of which 38 acres are planted to vine – located mere minutes from Calistoga. This part of the valley has some of the greatest diurnal temperature changes – often up to 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit during certain times of the year. And based on its proximity to Sonoma County and a gap in the nearby Mayacamas mountains, it is not uncommon (especially in the afternoon) to receive cooling breezes attributed to the Pacific Ocean’s influence – coming from a north westerly direction.
Much of the property is steep forested hillsides. Nearby neighbors include Kenefick Ranch, Kelly Fleming Winery and the historic Frediani Vineyard (with some vines dating back to the 1920s). About half of the Eisele Vineyard wine produced annually is the Eisele Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon. A second Cabernet Sauvignon is Altagracia and they also produce a Syrah and a Sauvignon Blanc. Total production is usually around 5,000 cases annually.
Walking the vineyard, one can find rocks – although not nearly as many today on the surface as there used to be. The shallow soils sit over an old creek bed with rounded alluvial rocks. The vineyard is fairly flat but lies at the lower part of an impressive rocky part of the Palisades – a series of jagged rock outcrops in this part of the Vaca mountain range. Over time water, wind and gravity have moved and eroded sediments and volcanic rock from the mountains into two alluvial fans – which spread out and encompass not only the Eisele vineyard but other nearby vineyards.
The vineyards are categorized into 12 primary vineyard blocks – which were originally numbered but are now named. Some of the best terroir on the property borders the winery and is bisected by Simmons Creek. And 450 olive trees grow on site – some in several small groves but others primarily lining the edges of the property (they do produce small amounts of olive oil from these trees).
All Eisele Vineyard wines are estate grown – the vineyard is primarily planted to Cabernet Sauvignon along (75%) with Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot and Merlot with smaller blocks of Sauvignon Blanc and Sauvignon Musqué. Astute followers of the Araujo Estate wines will remember very limited bottlings of what used to be estate grown Viognier (the last vintage was in 2014 these vines have since been pulled out and wines from this varietal are no longer made).
The 2018 Eisele Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc was aged on its lees in stainless steel drums (35%), concrete eggs (12%), used oak (33%) and new oak (20%). The aging has been extended with the recent vintages – now it ages for 12 months before being bottled rather then the previous 6 months. And battonage occurs frequently during the aging. This wine is composed of 18% Sauvignon Blanc and 82% Sauvignon Musqué clone.
The musqué clone in large part, contributes the beautiful floral aromatics. Offers a an elegant aromatic union of honeysuckle, jasmine, and citrus blossom. On the palate, the texture is supple, gentle and rounded. Continues with a noticeable viscosity complemented by a bright energy of acid which continues to linger for some time. Flavors of mandarin with hints of vanilla towards the back of the palate. Antoine Donnedieu de Vabres, Eisele Vineyard’s Managing Director refers to this wine as having a double personality – the exuberance of the bouquet tethered to the balance and freshness of the palate. This is one of the finer Sauvignon Blanc wines we have tried in the Napa Valley.
The 2013 Eisele Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon (tasted 7 years after vintage), is dark ruby in the glass with initial aromatics showcasing some secondary aromas from its bottle age including a sweetness of fruit, dark licorice and cocoa powder. A robust vintage, this wine has aged very well – like the 2011 vintage in general, this vintage has needed time, but for different reasons. Continues harmoniously across the palate with rounded well-integrated tannins.
The 2014 Eisele Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon is 99% Cabernet Sauvignon and 1% Petite Verdot. Shows notes of dust, dried herbs and a hint of cedar along with a floral component (violets) – the bouquet is refined and elegant. Offers a profile with a wide appeal – the definition of seamless. A brightness of fruit on the finish is complemented nicely by finely woven tannins – slightly chalky in their textural feel. This vintage in general was fairly approachable in its youth – and this wine is a testament to how nicely it continues to evolve.
The 2015 Eisele Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon (was a warmer vintage) and one can smell this in the bouquet with its sweeter riper fruit aromatics (plum, blackberry). Also hints of dried tobacco leaf, and cardamom found deeper into the aromatics. For a warmer vintage, the wine shows plenty of life – with an energetic finish anchored by robust gravelly and very long lasting tannins. This wine has the depth and character to go many years in the bottle with proper cellaring.
The 2016 Eisele Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon offers intriguing aromatics of darker fruit, primarily blackberry and plum with some sweeter spices along with cassis and white chocolate. This wine has a special density centered around layers of fruit and structure. The feel of the tannins across the palate is arguably a core highlight, among others. Offers a finish that features polished yet firmly defined tannins. No edges here. Great acidity. Like the 2014, this is an exceptional wine but with even more complexity.
The 2017 Eisele Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon presents darker fruits, violets, along with some baking spices on the bouquet shows a bit more barrel influence then previous vintages. On the palate, tastes and feels the most youthful of the vintages we tried. An initial softness leads to layers of flavor and texture. Its richness is clearly evident. Lingers with a youthful grip of tannins, somewhat gravelly in feel, but nonetheless, features a memorable long lasting finish.
Bart used to describe the magic of this vineyard as producing estate wines that have “weight but without heaviness”. And one can clearly notice that on the palate – with a certain density and appealing tannin texture throughout all these wines, but also with some vintage variation to add additional intrigue.
These are wines with integrity, paying full attention to the site – and dare we say, resulting in some of the more elegant and sophisticated wines being produced from contemporary Napa Valley.
OTHER DOMAINES UNDER ARTEMIS GROUP OWNERSHIP
This storied estate was first planted to vines in the 14th century – its iconic stone tower (La Tour de Saint-Lambert) dates from the 1620’s and replaced an earlier tower that was built here in the 1300s. Château Latour focuses on three wines – their primary offering, the Grand vin, a second label, Les Forts de Latour, and a third wine called Le Pauillac de Château Latour.
The soils surrounding the chateau are remarkably rocky (river washed and rounded cobble). The varieties grown here include a majority of Cabernet Sauvignon, with smaller amounts of Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. The chateau on site dates from 1864. Located in Pauillac, Château Latour (closed to the public) is only a short distance from at times, the large buses and tour groups that stop and admire the nearby stunning property of Château Pichon Baron.
Note: visits to other properties under the Artemis Group ownership coming as time and budget permit.
Eisele Vineyard is one of only several Napa Valley based wineries to be partners of Ficofi, a luxury group that provides access for serious wine collectors to wines primarily from the finest châteaus and domaines in France. However, select members are from the Napa Valley, often with connections to France other Napa notable members include Harlan Estate, Screaming Eagle, Colgin and Opus One. Ficofi hosts select wine and art experiences worldwide, offers wine storage services and maintains offices in Paris, Bordeaux, Hong Kong and Singapore.
Roughly half the wines are sold direct to consumer and the remainder is sold through various distribution channels with wines available at fine restaurants and retail outlets. And they are selectively distributed internationally. Locally one can sometimes find select wines/vintages at ACME Fine Wines in St. Helena, at K. Laz Wine Collection in Yountville and the Bounty Hunter in Napa.
Buckley là một trong số sáu lớp tàu khu trục hộ tống được Hải quân Hoa Kỳ chế tạo nhằm đáp ứng nhu cầu hộ tống vận tải trong Thế Chiến II, sau khi Hoa Kỳ chính thức tham chiến vào cuối năm 1941. Chúng hầu như tương tự nhau, chỉ với những khác biệt về hệ thống động lực và vũ khí trang bị. Động cơ của phân lớp Backley bao gồm hai turbine hơi nước General Electric để dẫn động hai máy phát điện vận hành hai trục chân vịt, và dàn vũ khí chính bao gồm 3 khẩu pháo pháo 3 in (76 mm)/50 cal.  
Những chiếc phân lớp Buckley (TE) có chiều dài ở mực nước 300 ft (91 m) và chiều dài chung 306 ft (93 m) mạn tàu rộng 37 ft 1 in (11,30 m) và độ sâu mớn nước khi đầy tải là 11 ft 3 in (3,43 m). Chúng có trọng lượng choán nước tiêu chuẩn 1.430 tấn Anh (1.450 t) và lên đến 1.823 tấn Anh (1.852 t) khi đầy tải.  Hệ thống động lực bao gồm hai nồi hơi và hai turbine hơi nước General Electric công suất 13.500 mã lực (10.100 kW), dẫn động hai máy phát điện công suất 9.200 kilôwatt (12.300 hp) để vận hành hai trục chân vịt   công suất 12.000 hp (8.900 kW) cho phép đạt được tốc độ tối đa 23 kn (26 mph 43 km/h). Con tàu mang theo 359 tấn Anh (365 t) dầu đốt, cho phép di chuyển đến 6.000 nmi (6.900 dặm 11.000 km) ở vận tốc đường trường 12 kn (14 mph 22 km/h). 
Vũ khí trang bị bao gồm pháo 3 in (76 mm)/50 cal trên ba tháp pháo nòng đơn đa dụng (có thể đối hạm hoặc phòng không), gồm hai khẩu phía mũi và một khẩu phía đuôi. Vũ khí phòng không tầm gần bao gồm hai pháo Bofors 40 mm và tám pháo phòng không Oerlikon 20 mm. Con tàu có ba ống phóng ngư lôi Mark 15 21 inch (533 mm). Vũ khí chống ngầm bao gồm một dàn súng cối chống tàu ngầm Hedgehog Mk. 10 (có 24 nòng và mang theo 144 quả đạn) hai đường ray Mk. 9 và bốn máy phóng K3 Mk. 6 để thả mìn sâu.   Thủy thủ đoàn đầy đủ bao gồm 200 sĩ quan và thủy thủ. 
Con tàu được đặt lườn như là chiếc DE-75 tại xưởng tàu của hãng Bethlehem-Hingham Steel Shipyard ở Hingham, Massachusetts vào ngày 3 tháng 5, 1943,   được đặt tên Eisele vào ngày 27 tháng 5, 1943  và được hạ thủy vào ngày 26 tháng 7, 1943.   Tuy nhiên trước đó nó đã được chuyển giao cho Anh Quốc vào ngày 22 tháng 6, 1943,   [Note 1] và nhập biên chế cùng Hải quân Anh như là chiếc HMS Bickerton (K466) vào ngày 17 tháng 10, 1943  dưới quyền chỉ huy của Hạm trưởng, Đại úy Hải quân Ernest Michael Thorpe.  
Bickerton đã hoạt động thuần túy cùng Đội hộ tống 5 trong suốt cuộc chiến tranh khi tham gia hộ tống các Đoàn tàu vận tải Bắc Cực và đoàn tàu vượt Đại Tây Dương cũng như hoạt động tại Normandy và eo biển Manche. 
Tại vùng biển Bắc Đại Tây Dương vào ngày 6 tháng 5, 1944, Bickerton phối hợp cùng các tàu frigate Aylmer (K463) và Bligh (K467) và hai máy bay Fairey Swordfish thuộc Liên đội Không lực Hải quân 825 xuất phát từ tàu sân bay hộ tống Vindex (D15), trong việc truy tìm tàu ngầm Đức U-765. Nó đã đánh chìm chiếc U-boat bằng mìn sâu tại tọa độ 52°30′B 28°28′T / 52,5°B 28,467°T / 52.500 -28.467 . 37 thành viên thủy thủ đoàn của U-765 đã tử trận, 11 người sống sót được Bickerton cứu vớt.  
Vào ngày 25 tháng 6, Bickerton đã tấn công bằng mìn sâu và đánh chìm tàu ngầm U-boat U-269 trong eo biển Manche, về phía Đông Nam Torquay, ở tọa độ 50°01′B 02°59′T / 50,017°B 2,983°T / 50.017 -2.983 . 13 thành viên thủy thủ đoàn của U-269 đã tử trận và có 39 người sống sót.  
Trong khuôn khổ Chiến dịch Goodwood với ý định tiêu diệt thiết giáp hạm Đức Tirpitz đang ẩn náu trong vũng biển Altafjord, Na Uy, các tàu sân bay hộ tống Trumpeter (D09) và Nabob (D77), được Bickerton hộ tống, đã được phái đến biển Barents. Khoảng 01 giờ 00 ngày 22 tháng 8, Nabob trúng ngư lôi, và sau đó lúc 01 giờ 22 phút đến lượt bản thân Bickerton bị đánh trúng cả hai cuộc tấn công đều xuất phát từ tàu ngầm U-boat U-354, sử dụng kiểu ngư lôi dò âm G7es (T5).  Nabob tiếp tục di chuyển được bằng chính hệ thống động lực của mình và được hộ tống rút lui về Rosyth nhưng những nỗ lực nhằm cứu Bickerton đều thất bại, nên nó bị tàu khu trục HMS Vigilant phóng ba quả ngư lôi đánh chìm tại tọa độ 71°42′B 19°11′Đ / 71,7°B 19,183°Đ / 71.700 19.183 Tọa độ: 71°42′B 19°11′Đ / 71,7°B 19,183°Đ / 71.700 19.183 . 
No Twerk Zone: Ilana Glazer Gives a Dialed-Down Stand-Up Show About Her Life
The Prodigal Sun: Park Central's Beloved Statue Has Come Home Again
This group knew where all the ancient architecture was, who owned it, and whether it might be torn down. So how had this bakery, which some of them thought might be the oldest building in town, been moved and restored without their knowledge?
&ldquoYou probably didn&rsquot know about this because it wasn&rsquot a public project,&rdquo a man named Matt Strangwayes explained to the crowd of nine. Strangwayes said he was the interpretive content manager at the zoo, which meant he created and managed the educational signage there. On this project, he&rsquod made signs and other interpretive elements that explained the history of the Phoenix Bakery.
Before it merged with Holsum Bakery in 1929, the bakery had been Phoenix&rsquos longest-running privately owned corporation, its history stretching back to 1881. Purchased by a German immigrant named Edward Eisele three years later, Phoenix Bakery became a family enterprise three generations of the family had since worked there. This location was shuttered in the mid-1970s and relocated to South 23rd Avenue, long before Holsum sold its brand to the Flower Foods conglomerate.
As the preservationist group trudged past chimps and macaws, Strangwayes explained that the building had been donated by Ed Eisele Jr., the grandson of the founder and a former president of the bakery. It will be used as a private rental facility and not open to the public. &ldquoWe&rsquoll host weddings, graduation parties, what have you,&rdquo he said.
&ldquoWe know that this building got moved to Pioneer Village in the 1970s,&rdquo a preservationist named Rob Melikian announced, &ldquobecause it was about to be torn down and Ed Eisele wanted to save it. But how did it end up at the zoo?&rdquo
Strangwayes said he didn&rsquot want to say anything bad about the people at Pioneer Village, but he thought maybe their plans for the bakery building never came together.
&ldquoSo it just kind of sat there all those years. But we have a Mexican wolf breeding program here, and the Eiseles helped fund that. Ed Eisele is a wolf guy. So we already had a relationship with the Eiseles, and they just asked us if they could bring the bakery here.&rdquo
When the building was moved the first time, Strangwayes said Eisele had told him, it traveled two miles an hour on a giant flatbed truck. This time, Strangwayes explained, it was taken apart and then reassembled, brick by brick, on the zoo grounds.
&ldquoWe had two or three photos from the era,&rdquo Strangwayes explained, &ldquoand we built it based on that. Ed kept saying, &lsquoMake it like the picture! Make it like the picture!&rsquo&rdquoEXPAND
The group arrived at the reassembled bakery. The building is now wider than the original, an historian named Duran Lugo noted. Strangwayes agreed.
&ldquoBut those cement pillars are original,&rdquo he said, pointing to the front of the building. &ldquoThey would have been shipped to Phoenix probably from Illinois or somewhere. Kansas City maybe. There was no one out here producing that kind of thing.&rdquo
The group admired how everything inside the bakery was period correct. The shelves were lined with loaves of shellacked bread, and the display cases were filled with rubber cakes and stacks of pretend cookies. All of it looked real.
&ldquoSome of these things came right from Ed Eisele&rsquos private collection,&rdquo Strangwayes explained, pointing out Ed Sr.&rsquos desk and recipe book. &ldquoHe kept that recipe book in his back pocket at all times.&rdquo
The bakery was filled with life-sized, photographic cutouts of people taken from 100-year-old photos. One of the preservationists pointed to a cutout of a woman in a giant picture hat, holding a baby. &ldquoI think this is Julia Thomas,&rdquo he said. &ldquoThe lost Dutchman died in her house. He gave her instructions to the location of the mine.&rdquo
Another preservationist looked annoyed. &ldquoJulia Thomas owned her own bakery,&rdquo he said. &ldquoI don&rsquot know why she&rsquod be in here.&rdquo
Strangwayes said that the baby in the photo had come to a grand opening party the zoo had held at the bakery. She was in her 90s now and had stood next to the photograph of her mother, holding her as a baby.
&ldquoWhy didn&rsquot you tell us you&rsquod had a grand opening celebration?&rdquo a woman named Kim Casper asked.
&ldquoThey didn&rsquot want us to mob them,&rdquo another preservationist named Steve Schumacher said.
Strangwayes talked about Phoenix&rsquos underground market, where in the old days some men went to buy opium and women and a game of cards. Ed Eisele Jr., hadn&rsquot wanted to talk to Strangwayes about that, but his research told him that the underground moved to Chinatown after the turn of the 20th century. Illicit underground businesses were marked with lighted cobblestones. &ldquoThere might still be one left near the Westward Ho,&rdquo Strangwayes said.
A few days later, Schumacher talked more about moving the bakery. &ldquoI don&rsquot think Ed Eisele deliberately kept historians out of the loop,&rdquo Schumacher said. &ldquoI think he figured he had the money and the connections to rescue his grandfather&rsquos building, and he just made it happen.&rdquo
What mattered, Steve said, was that the oldest building in town had been restored, instead of being torn down.
Keep Phoenix New Times Free. Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.
Eisele Bass Drum
This bass drum was made by Henry Eisele in New York, New York, around 1890-1900. It has a dark-stained wood shell with a painted eagle below the vent hole. There are two painted wood hoops with 12 metal tensioning rods, and skin heads. There is a printed label inside the shell that is inscribed:
SUCCESSOR TO WILLIAM SEMPF
MANUFACTUROR OF BASS AND SNARE DRUMS
209 & 211 GRAND STREET, NEW YORK
N.B. Drum heads, sticks, cords and etc. Constantly on hand.
This drum was used by William T. Armstrong (1879-1965), orchestra leader and musician in vaudeville and silent film theaters. Armstrong grew up in South River, New Jersey and began playing drums at the age of 14. He continued his musical career through the mid-1910s, after which, Armstrong began work in banking and finance. This artifact is part of a collection of drums, sound effect instruments, and other percussion instruments used by Armstrong.
Location Currently not on view Object Name drum date made 1890-1900 place made United States: New York, New York City Physical Description wood (overall material) metal (overall material) ID Number 1984.0335.01 accession number 1984.0335 catalog number 1984.0335.01 Credit Line Gift of Pamela A. Carlin and Evelyn A. Mark in memory of William T. Armstrong See more items in Cultural and Community Life: Musical Instruments Music & Musical Instruments Popular Entertainment Data Source National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.
The World Wars
An assassination in Sarajevo sparks a global war. For the next 30 years, deadly fighting rages across Europe, Africa, China and the Pacific.
Hitler. Churchill. De Gaulle. MacArthur. Patton. Stalin. Mussolini. We know them as legends. But they first learn what it will take to rise to greatness as young soldiers, fighting for their lives on the frontlines.
This is the story of a generation of men who come of age in the trenches of World War I, only to become the leaders of World War II. The lessons they learn on the frontlines shape them as they rise to power—and haunt them as the deadly fighting breaks out again. Some become heroes, forged in courage under fire. Others emerge as the most infamous villains the world has ever seen.
Theirs is one story—the story of a 30-year global struggle. A fight that will either save the world—or destroy it.
Narrated by two-time Oscar nominee Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker, The Town), this three-night event series features gripping dramatic scenes, stunning CGI visuals and interviews with contemporary leaders, including John McCain, Colin Powell, John Major and David Miliband, along with noted historians from around the world. The World Wars is a mini-series event that takes viewers on an epic and groundbreaking ride through the bloodiest century in history.
World War II
After shakedown in Bermudan waters, Rednour arrived in Norfolk, Virginia, on 7 February 1945. She then underwent amphibious training in the Chesapeake Bay and coastal training operations, after which she departed Melville, Rhode Island, on 24 February 1945, bound for World War II service in the Pacific.
Arriving at San Diego, California, on 11 March 1945, rednour engaged in a week of coastal training exercises before standing in to Pearl Harbor, Territory of Hawaii, on 25 March 1945. There she assisted in the training of underwater demolition teams through 8 April 1945, when she steamed as an escort for several cargo ships en route Ulithi Atoll via the Marshall Islands.
Rednour departed Ulithi Atoll on 23 April 1945, overtaking a convoy which arrived off the Hagushi beaches of Okinawa on 26 April 1945. She supported the Okinawa campaign, patrolling off Kerama Retto through the following month and assisted in the screening of inward- and outward-bound convoys. She also assisted in repelling almost constant air raids.
On the night of 27 May 1945, Rednour assumed an antiaircraft patrol station 14 nautical miles (26 kilometers)west of Zampa-Misaki (Point Bolo), Okinawa, in company with high-speed transport USS Loy (APD-56) and destroyer escort USS Eisele (DE-34). Shortly before midnight, the first of several kamikaze suicide planes which attacked Loy was exploded in midair by antiaircraft fire, but a second aircraft crashed Loy. A third aircraft evaded the gunfire, but a fourth closed rapidly on Rednour ' s starboard bow. Despite the withering curtain of fire thrown up by her gunners, the plane crashed Rednour ' s stern, starting fires and blowing a 10-foot (3-meter) hole in her main deck. Three men were killed and 13 wounded. After driving off yet another suicide plane, Rednour entered Kerama roadstead for temporary battle damage repairs.
Departing Okinawa on 14 June 1945, Rednour steamed for California, stopping en route at both Leyte in the Philippine Islands and Pearl Harbor. Arriving at San Pedro, Californis, on 22 July 1945, she underwent a general overhaul. World War II came to end with the surrender of Japan on 15 August 1945 while Rednour was in California.
Her overhaul complete, Rednour got underway for service in the Marshall-Gilbert Islands Command with Transport Division 104. Steaming via Pearl Harbor and Saipan, she arrived at Eniwetok on 15 September 1945. During the following months she carried passengers, vehicles, provisions, and other cargo between Eniwetok, Wake Island, Ponape, and Kwajalein. From 29 October 1945 through 5 November 1945, she served as headquarters ship for a hydrographic survey party from the survey ship USS Hydrographer (AGS-2) in the area of Taongi Atoll.
Rednour ' s inter-island transport service ended on 5 January 1946 when she departed Kwajalein with the staff and records of the Marshall-Gilberts Command, bound for Guam. Debarking her passengers and records at Apra Harbor, Guam, on 9 January 1946, she set course for the United States via Kwajalein and Pearl Harbor, arriving at San Pedro on 2 February 1946.
Departing San Pedro on 20 February 1946, Rednour transited the Panama Canal and arrived at Norfolk, Virginia, on 8 March 1946 to prepare for inactivation. She departed Norfolk on 31 March 1946 bound for Green Cove Springs, Florida.